[extropy-chat] frozen in fire

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Mon Jan 22 01:26:47 UTC 2007

Robert Bradbury  wrote:

> Anders, are you content to sit in ivory towers at Oxford while people
die?

Robert, lately you've been firing off these accusatory but indirect
statements, and I've got to say it took me a long time to get past the
tone and understand where you seem to coming from.

Of course many of us know Anders as one of the most knowledgeable,
balanced, and active voices of transhumanism in the world.  I think the
bluntness of your accusatory question is intended to play off this high
degree of contrast, but I'm afraid it tends to backfire and make you
look unreasonable.

Yes, it comes down to values, and the question of how best to allocate
one's attention and resources.  Is it better to do things right, or to
do the right thing?  And over what scope, more tactical or more
strategic?

- Jef