[extropy-chat] META: Re: what is probability?

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 02:36:04 UTC 2007

Even if Damien's theory is correct in general, I don't believe the
supposed thread competition effect occurred here in first place, in *this*
case, at least not to any significant degree.

I say this because I was participating in at least two other threads when
Eugen came along and somewhat capriciously nixed this one about
probability theory.

There was in my opinion no good reason to shut it down. The discussion was
not inflamed; it was reasonable and civil and we were even starting to
have some fun with it (Jef's funny take-off on my Spock bit).  And as I've
already mentioned, there were at least to my way of thinking many
sub-topics in the philosophy of probability still waiting to be discussed
in more detail by those of us who might be interested (Popper's propensity
theory, for example, and the variations thereof, in addition to other
theories). Also there were newly opened questions still floating in the
thread at the time, for example an investigation into the algorithmic
theories of randomness and how they might affect the various
interpretations of probability theory, to me very interesting questions
worth pursuing but which I have been forced to take elsewhere. <grumble>

-gts