[extropy-chat] all quiet on the extrope front

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 25 04:16:57 UTC 2007

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of pjmanney
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] all quiet on the extrope front
>
> Damien, you sound like an argument addict jonesin' for a fix.  ;-)
>
> PJ

OK, a few seconds with google cleared up this otherwise baffling comment:

Jonesin: A word used to describe an intense craving for a drug. Comes from
Great Jones Street in New York City, between Broadway and Lafayette Street,
a former junkie hangout.  ex. "I'm jonesin' for some coke."

The impact of the internet is difficult to adequately describe.  The
futurists generally missed it, even when it was nearly upon us.  They were
still talking about flying cars and cities under the sea, when this quiet
development of universal frictionless communication slipped under the radar
and changed our lives as we know it.  We have a world of knowledge at our
fingertips.  We know about everything that happens everywhere on this globe.
We have access to the ultra-obscure realms of knowledge, the above given as
a trivial example.  Twenty years ago, I would have no idea what one was
doing when jonesin for a fix; I would know exactly *no one* likely to have
the vaguest clue what is meant by that curious bit of slang.  Back in those
dark days we went around not knowing stuff.  The profound satisfaction of
knowing stuff is the greatest transcendent ecstasy of our times.

spike jones