[extropy-chat] Questionnaire on senses

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Fri Jan 26 10:04:41 UTC 2007

scerir wrote:
> Anders Sandberg
>> Physiologically speaking there are of
>> course
>> individual receptors, but we do not recognize smells that just activate
>> one of them.
>
> It seems there is something new (2006), in the literature.
> The revival of the old theory by Luca Turin.

According to an olfaction researcher I know this theory is junk. I can't
tell myself, but it looks like the usual split between physicists and
neuroscientists when physicists claim some unusual physical process occurs
in the brain (cmp quantum theories of the mind) and the neuroscientists
don't see any need for obtruse explanations.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Oxford Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics