[extropy-chat] an(other) Aussie visits Texas

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Sun Jan 28 23:39:14 UTC 2007

Damien Broderick wrote:
> At 02:36 PM 1/28/2007 -0800, Eliezer wrote:
>
>>Yes, I've met ordinary mortals and been deeply shocked by the things
>>they didn't know - but they still didn't believe that Star Wars is based
>>on a true story.
>
> I viewed this (the guy made a slight hesitation, as I recall) as him
> *interpreting* the question, perhaps as "Is Star Wars based on a
> Bible battle? or WW2? or the Vietnam War?" Oh, wait, the Vietnam War,
> what was that?

Not knowing what the Vietnam war was, I find quite believable - I've
encountered that level of ignorance in real human beings.  But that's
still not the same as thinking Star Wars is real.

Damien, there's a whole lot of people will say damn near anything they
think will get themselves on television.  I'm not unwilling to believe
but I'd prefer, ahem, a more scientific investigation.