[extropy-chat] an(other) Aussie visits Texas

pjmanney pj at pj-manney.com
Mon Jan 29 05:45:25 UTC 2007

>Not knowing what the Vietnam war was, I find quite believable - I've
>encountered that level of ignorance in real human beings.  But that's
>still not the same as thinking Star Wars is real.

That's one of the funniest lines I've read in a long time.  Ignorance about a war Americans fought in the not-so-distant past is possible, but ignorance about the holy canon of Star Wars isn't.

<ROTFLOL>

There are more people who have never SEEN Star Wars than are dreamt of in your philosophy!  They don't know what the hell Star Wars is, except a name that exists in the culture.

>Damien, there's a whole lot of people will say damn near anything they
>think will get themselves on television.  I'm not unwilling to believe
>but I'd prefer, ahem, a more scientific investigation.

Have none of you seen BORAT?!  If not, please do so!  Then you'll understand what you're up against.  While some of it was scripted (like the naked wrestling, Pam Anderson, the prostitute, etc.), the most outrageous bits of interviewage, like the gun shop owner, the frat boys and the rodeo, are very, very real.  THAT'S what makes it so f@#%ing brilliant.  If you ask the right questions to the right people, you get the most shocking responses.

Have none of you actually held conversations with "normal" people?  You all need to get out more and see who your cognitive and longevity enhancements are going to effect!  I suggest cognitive enhancements first.  Then longevity.

I doubt none of what I watched on this vid, except to say 1) obviously those who knew the answers were cut.  You don't know how many right answers he got vs. wrong answers and 2) when a camera is trained on a person, most people get much dumber than they would be normally.  Brain paralysis and extreme self-consciousness can set in.

But that's really not an excuse either.  Don't forget.  50% of people are below average.  THAT'S the truth that's out there.

PJ