[extropy-chat] an(other) Aussie visits Texas

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jan 29 06:06:09 UTC 2007

At 12:45 AM 1/29/2007 -0500, PJ wrote:

>But that's really not an excuse either.  Don't forget.  50% of
>people are below average.  THAT'S the truth that's out there.

True, but I think the practical implications of that mathematical
truism are not instantly obvious. For a start, people who score
between, say, 95 and 105 are not especially distinguishable from each
another in the real world, yet they make up a large chunk in the
middle of the crowd. On the other hand, people with average scores
plus or minus a bit do seem, looking from the outskirts, to be
astonishingly thick, slow and incurious. I suspect it's more relevant
to say: "Don't forget, nearly 70% of people are between 85 and 115,
plus a bunch of the terminally stupid on the left tail, and 95% of
people either side of the average are under 130, are you scared yet?"

Damien Broderick