[extropy-chat] an(other) Aussie visits Texas

Ben Goertzel ben at goertzel.org
Mon Jan 29 14:57:45 UTC 2007

On Jan 29, 2007, at 12:45 AM, pjmanney wrote:

>> Not knowing what the Vietnam war was, I find quite believable - I've
>> encountered that level of ignorance in real human beings.  But that's
>> still not the same as thinking Star Wars is real.
>
> That's one of the funniest lines I've read in a long time.
> Ignorance about a war Americans fought in the not-so-distant past
> is possible, but ignorance about the holy canon of Star Wars isn't.
>
> <ROTFLOL>
>
> There are more people who have never SEEN Star Wars than are dreamt
> of in your philosophy!  They don't know what the hell Star Wars is,
> except a name that exists in the culture.

Please note that Star Wars was also, in the 1980's, the popular name
for a proposed US missile defense system proposed by President
Reagan, Edward Teller, and others.

It involved using long-range lasers to shoot down missiles and
planes, I believe.  It was hyped a lot but ultimately was rejected
due to technological obstacles.

Anyway, I think PJ has a good point.  Thinking "Star Wars" is real
having just watched the actual movie is one thing.  Responding to
questions about it in a detached conversational context is another.

-- Ben G