[extropy-chat] transhumanism=doomsday cult b.s?

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 22:18:01 UTC 2007

It's difficult to reliably distinguish in advance between visionary ideas
and wishful thinking, but I will suggest as a general guideline looking at
the following categories of claims:

X is *possible* vs X is *easy*.
X *could* happen vs X *will* happen.
X can be achieved *someday* vs X can be achieved *within a specific time*.

In each case claims of the former type have very often proved true, whereas
claims of the latter type usually have not, so we should be receptive to the
former but much more skeptical of the latter.