[ExI] keith in the news again

David C. Harris dharris234 at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 13 04:53:35 UTC 2007

The long version of the story:

  San Jose Mercury News (CA)

    CHURCH CRITIC SEEKS PARDON

July 7, 2007
Section: Local
Edition: Morning Final
Page: 1B
   MIKE ZAPLER, MediaNews Sacramento Bureau
*Illustration:* Photo

*Caption:* PHOTO: Henson
64-year-old longtime computer consultant is a former Silicon Valley
resident.

Former Palo Alto engineer *Keith Henson*'s decade-long battle with the
Church of Scientology forced him into bankruptcy, sent him on the lam to
Canada to seek political asylum, and recently landed him in a solitary
jail cell in Riverside County.

Friday, he asked Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to set him free.

His crusade ultimately led to a misdemeanor conviction and six-month
jail sentence -- of which he has served about two months -- for
interfering with the rights of others to practice their religion.
Friday, his wife and daughter arrived in Sacramento after a two-day
drive that started in Arizona, and delivered a petition to
Schwarzenegger's office seeking a pardon, or short of that, a reduced
sentence. ''People react in different ways to things,'' Henson's wife,
Arel Lucas, said. ''Some people get angry, other people feel like
walking away. He got angry.'' Since May, Henson -- described by his wife
as a compassionate man with a boisterous laugh who ''likes to talk and
project his thoughts about the future'' -- has sat in a solitary jail
cell in Riverside County. Lucas said her husband's troubles are
undeserved. He was only trying to protect people, she said, from what
he's convinced is a corrupt organization. A 64-year-old longtime
computer consultant, Henson has pursued many causes during his life,
many outside the mainstream but all of them, family members say, with
the intensity of a scientist on the brink of a big breakthrough. In the
mid-'70s he helped found the L5 society that was dedicated to creating a
space colony where Henson hoped to live someday. He has advocated
cryonics, the practice of freezing people with diseases in the hopes of
reviving them once a cure is found. Then Henson set his sights on
Scientology. Scanning Internet news groups in the mid-1990s, he was
drawn to a page critical of Scientology and quickly became convinced.
With typical zeal, Henson set out to expose the religion, which some
critics charge operates more like a cult, and things quickly escalated
into a nasty, protracted battle. A Schwarzenegger spokesman declined to
comment, other than to say the governor would give the petition the same
careful consideration he does other such requests. Henson's troubles
began when he posted on the Internet Scientology documents about its
approach to medical treatment. The church, which closely guards its
teachings, sued him for copyright infringement. In 1998, after a
four-day trial before U.S. District Judge Ronald Whyte, Henson was
ordered to pay $75,000 to the Religious Technology Center, a wing of the
Scientology organization. ''It's amazing the trouble you get into for
trying to warn the public about health hazards,'' Henson told the
Mercury News after the verdict. ''This was just a loss of a battle in a
larger war.'' Indeed it was. The fine forced Henson into bankruptcy, but
he wasn't ready to let go. Henson (who, after more than a decade living
in Silicon Valley, moved to Southern California) picketed Scientology
organizations around Los Angeles. According to his wife, he was roughed
up more than once and was a frequent target of death threats. The Church
of Scientology did not return calls requesting comment. According to
court documents, starting in May 2000 Henson staged daily protests for
nearly two months straight outside Golden Era Productions, a Scientology
facility in Riverside County that produces promotional materials. Police
arrested him July 19 of that year, and prosecutors later alleged that he
had threatened to bomb the building. He was charged with three
misdemeanors, two for allegedly making or attempting to make terrorist
threats, and one for allegedly interfering with another's right to
exercise civil rights, namely to practice religion. According to his
wife, Henson worked for an explosives company in the 1970s and has
experience with pyrotechnics. And he once jokingly suggested online
launching a ''Cruise missile'' at a Scientology building -- a reference
to actor Tom Cruise, an active church member. But that's a far cry, she
said, from being a terrorist. ''He never had access to weapons of mass
destruction or had the ability to launch them,'' she said. ''He's not
some kind of bomb-throwing, threatening person. He never threatened
anyone.'' The jury hung on the two terrorist charges but convicted
Henson of interfering with religion, a misdemeanor. But shortly before
his sentencing date in 2001, when he was expecting to be sent to jail
for six months, Henson bolted for Canada. According to his wife, he
feared that Scientologists would harm him in jail, and so he accepted an
invitation from a Canadian friend. Barely a month later, shopping at a
suburban Toronto mall, Henson was surrounded by a police SWAT team and
arrested, his wife said, for failing to disclose his criminal status
when he crossed the border. After five days in a high-security jail, he
was released. The reason: Henson had applied for political asylum,
claiming that if forced to return to the United States, he faced injury
or even death at the hands of Scientologists. Henson's petition for
refugee status languished in the Canadian court system for more than
four years -- a period he spent working for several computer firms and
continuing to picket Scientology facilities -- before being denied in
mid-2005. Knowing he would soon be deported, he slipped quietly back
into the United States and stayed with friends for a year before winding
up in Prescott, Ariz., in September. Henson spent the next five months
writing, researching, working on his house and -- perhaps not
surprisingly -- posting critiques of Scientology on the Web. He made his
writings look as if they were coming from a computer in Canada. But
Henson wouldn't manage to sidestep the law much longer. In February, he
was arrested by undercover officers in Prescott -- he believes
Scientologists hired investigators to track him down -- and later was
deported to California to begin the jail sentence he had avoided for so
long. Will Henson continue the fight after his jail term? Moments after
leaving the state Capitol on Friday, clutching letters from supporters
in her hand, Lucas said she doubts her husband's crusade will resume
anytime soon. ''His lawyer thinks he's going to have to cool it.''

SCIENTOLOGY
A brief description of the Church of Scientology. A religious group
founded by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard and based on his book
''Dianetics,'' published in 1950. Scientologists believe that the
individual is first and foremost a spirit, or thetan, and that thetans
can be cleared of negative energy through a process called auditing. The
spiritual counselors who provide this service are called auditors. In
part because members are charged fees to receive auditing, Scientology's
tenets have been challenged and its practices investigated by
governmental agencies around the world. The Church of Scientology's
non-profit status in the United States was the subject of legal
wrangling for many years, but currently the Internal Revenue Service
accepts the church's tax-exempt status. Source: Religionlink