[ExI] Bad Epistemology?

Technotranscendence neptune at superlink.net
Mon Jul 16 04:00:06 UTC 2007

On Sunday, July 15, 2007 11:47 PM Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
sentience at pobox.com wrote:
> I don't want to get into an extended discussion, but...
>
> See Julian Barbour, "The End of Time".  Only relative configurations
> are real; individual particles are not.  Quantum amplitudes of
> particular relative configurations are related to each other, but they
> never change; the amplitude of a particular relative configuration is
> a fixed value.  The relations define time, and cannot "change" because
> they are outside time.

I'm sure happy to hear that after many centuries of debate -- going back
to the Ancients -- that Barbour has finally and definitively settled the
issue.  :)  No one here, I trust, would accuse him of being a
sophomaniac...

Seriously, though, I'll have to look into his book.  Even so, the title
reminds me of that "End of History" book and well as Rorty's blathering
on about the end of philosophy.  (Surely, Rorty was only aping those
talking about the end of metaphysics.)

Regards,

Dan
   See my droolings on epistemology at: