[ExI] no brain, no pain

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Jul 22 06:14:31 UTC 2007

At 10:42 PM 7/21/2007 -0700, Lee wrote:

> > Intelligence tests showed the man had an IQ of 75, below the average
> > score of 100 but not considered mentally retarded or disabled.
>
>If this is average for civil servants, it could explain a lot!

I think it's more typical of reporters. IQ 75 is certainly retarded.

at random:

<http://www.isteve.com/2002_IQ_Supreme_Court_Death_Penalty.htm>
<An IQ of 75 is just the point at which the odds of mastering the
elementary school curriculum and living independently in modern
American society as an adult fall below 50-50. >

Despite that silliness, it's still remarkable that an IQ as high as
75 can be sustained with such massive intracranial damage. (Mystics
will no doubt use this as evidence that the soul's docking station
can be quite small. I'm still convinced that it's the vermiform
appendix, which explains the 20th century.)

Damien Broderick