[ExI] "Up against the warming zealots"...hmmm

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jul 25 09:12:45 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 12:14:19AM -0700, Lee Corbin wrote:

> Generally speaking, warming has always been of benefit to human populations
> (in all the cases I know of). The Medieval Warming period is usually the

Perhaps you should read Diamond's Collapse.

> suggested example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Warm_Period

And what did the same warming result outside of backwaters of the North
Atlantic?

> The article here doesn't say so, but modern Russia was founded, so I've
> read, during a period that to some degree circumscribed the extreme
> cold of the region.
>
> Each year far more people die from cold than from heat. In general,
> winter kills, while summer is a relatively easy time for most species.

Surely, Lee, you can't think in such simplistic terms. Surely
you understand what precipitation pattern shifts would mean to
sustenance farmers?

> The biggest fear is  of change being too rapid, I think. The one or
> two degree upward change suggested for this century by those who
> believe that a warming trend is occuring, just doesn't seem very
> radical to me.

Don't think in degrees (average degrees, mark). Think in
terms of km, and in l/m^2, and kg/m^2.