[ExI] "Up against the warming zealots"

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Fri Jul 27 16:34:08 UTC 2007

"samantha" <sjatkins at mac.com>

> Anything with the potential to displace millions, disrupt weather patterns
> and harvests on a massive scale and potentially such down the thermohaline
> cycle cannot be cavalierly dismissed as relatively
> unimportant.

Even if every word you say above is true (and I have no reason to think the
perfect temperature for human beings is the exact temperature the Earth
happens to be at right now) I would still dismiss the subject as
unimportant. Why? Because barring some HUGE breakthrough in technology a
significant reduction in CO2 emissions is just not going to happen, no way
no how. You can scream and yell all you want that it should happen but from
a practical standpoint it really is like arguing "how many angels can sit on
the head of a pin?"

> That depends a lot on how we get there, doesn't it?  How many billions
> (with a B) are we spending and likely to spend on fossil fuels?  How  much
> in the so-called "Fight on Terrorism" not all that separable from
> the way we go after fossil fuels?  How many billions would it cost to
> lose
> a lot of prime coastland over the next 1 - 3 decades?

Or "how many rhetorical questions can one fit into a paragraph?"

  John K Clark