[ExI] on inflation in long term thinking

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Jul 31 06:00:00 UTC 2007

I was recently rereading Eliezer's Cognitive Biases paper.  It ends
with a paragraph that I find troublesome.

" No more than Albert Szent-Györgyi could multiply the suffering of
one human by a
hundred million can I truly understand the value of clear thinking
about global risks.
Scope neglect is the hazard of being a biological human, running on an
analog brain; the
brain cannot multiply by six billion.  And the stakes of existential
risk extend beyond even
the six billion humans alive today, to all the stars in all the
galaxies that humanity and
humanity's descendants may some day touch.  All that vast potential
hinges on our survival
here, now, in the days when the realm of humankind is a single planet
orbiting a single
star.  I can't feel our future.  All I can do is try to defend it."

What bothers me is the implicit notion rational decision making
requires maximal extension of hypotheticals.   None of us have any
real idea whether humanity or its descendants have a future beyond
this planet, solar system or local galactic neighborhood.  That we
might perhaps become or create near-gods that touch the entire galaxy
eventually can surely be said of every reasonably sapient species in
the universe.   But is it really rational to judge risk to humanity as
equating to a major risk to the entire universe?   I don't see how
this is justified.   Do we judge a human being not just on his own
character and likely potential but on the potential of all those
myriad of beings he might possibly be an ancestor to plus all those
artificial beings that he might create or have some small part in
creating and all their works as well?  Surely this throws reasonable
context, likelihood analysis and any basis for rational decision
making into disarray.

So what is the proper means of cleaning this up?  How is it properly
delimited to something actually useful?  Am I missing something?

- samantha