[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jun 1 11:33:57 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 09:23:09PM +1000, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

>    With all the hardware that we have networked and controlling much of
>    the technology of the modern world, has any of it spontaneously
>    decided to take over for its own purposes? Do you know of any examples

Of course not. It is arbitrarily improbable to appear by chance.
However, human-level AI is very high on a number of folks' priority
list. It definitely won't happen by chance. It will happen by design.

>    where the factory has tried to shut out the workers, for example,

Did you read my mail? Automation is very widespread in current
factories, silicon foundries specifically. You don't need to
shut out anyone, just change the product output.

>    because it would rather not be a slave to humans? The reply that

Remote resource takeover is something which will be a part
of the deployment plan, and planned by people, not the system
itself.

>    current software and hardware isn't smart enough won't do: in biology,

Do you expect your car to explode in a thermonuclear 50 MT-fireball when
you start it? Why not? Mere objections that it can't happen won't do.

>    the very dumbest of organisms are constantly and spontaneously
>    battling to take over the smartest, often with devastating results.

I don't think that the current malware situation is a genuine problem,
but many would disagree. But of course the zombies and worms are not
sentient, not yet.