[ExI] Italy's Social Capital (was france again)

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 06:14:43 UTC 2007

Lee,

wow, a libertarian who supports universal military service and social
planning with "re-population" a la Ceausescu! Political categories are
really changing aren't they;.)?

When studying things that happened before we were born, we should bear
in mind that history is always written by the winners. Southern Italy
could be seen as an example of spontaneous order that worked fine,
more or less, until it was broken by outside intervention. At school,
we had to study the "heroic liberation" of Italy. Actually it was just
another successful military campaign that resulted in the conquest of
a region by a foreign occupation army and the imposition of foreign
values and way of life upon the population. Sounds familiar doesn't
it?

Fascism was certainly more bad than good overall, but if we try to
read beyond the black and white of history books, not all they did or
wanted to do was bad. As most strong regimes do, they invented foreign
enemies to build internal unity around their own values (sounds
familiar again doesn't it).

And they certainly wanted to build "a much stronger sense of "being
Italian" as opposed to being Calabrian" in the population.

But what is wrong with being Calabrian? Calabrians (or Napolitans, or
Sicilians...) had a common language, culture and sense of identity.
That was broken by outside intervention, without replacing it with an
alternative framework. Hence many of the problems of current Italy.

As most Italians, I have two mother languages. One is a beautiful,
musical and very expressive language (not dialect, language) that has
evolved with its speakers for centuries, and now is sadly fading out.
The other is a "television language" that sounds flat and artificial.
Guess which one I love most.

G.