[ExI] a doubt concerning the h+ future

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 01:17:34 UTC 2007

> For example, I do not think it *possible* for John Grigg
> as you know and love him (that is, as you know and
> love yourself) to have been born in any other time!
> Any fertilized egg that was identitcal to yours of a half
> century ago or whenever you were conceived, simply
> would not have turned out to be *you* if raised, say,
> during the time of the Roman Empire. It would have
> spoken a different language, been completely unfamiliar
> with our technology, embraced a different religion, and
> so on to such an extent that it simply would have been
> a different person.

My answer to the Doomsday Argument was along similar lines: it doesn't make
sense to say I (as opposed to someone else with my DNA) could have been born
in a different century, so the probability under discussion is essentially
the probability that I am me; and the probability that X = X is a priori
unity.