[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Wed Jun 6 05:57:59 UTC 2007

Stathis Papaioannou Wrote:

> I get angry because I have the sort of neurological hardware
>that allows  me to get angry

I certainly can't disagree with that.

> if I didn't have that hardware, I would never get angry

True, and you'd never be intelligent either, you'd just be a few hundred
pounds of protoplasm.

> I don't doubt that machines can have emotions, since I believe that the
> human brain is Turing emulable.

THANK YOU!

> But you're suggesting that not only can computers have emotions, they must
> have emotions

No, a computer doesn't need emotions, but a AI must have them.

> not only that, but they must have the same sorts of emotions and
> motivations that people have.

I don't believe that at all; I believe many, probably most, emotions a AI
would have would be inscrutable to a human being, that's why a AI is so
unpredictable.

> It seems to me that this anthropomorphic position is more consistent with
> a belief in the special significance of meat.

For reasons that I fully admit are unclear to me members of this list often
use the word "anthropomorphic" as if it were a dreadful insult; but I think
anthropomorphism is a valuable tool if used properly in understanding how
other minds work.

  John K Clark