[ExI] This would almost qualify as hilarious ... if only it weren't true

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Jun 12 03:44:53 UTC 2007

At 07:50 PM 6/11/2007 -0700, Olga wrote:

>I didn't think it was possible for our "leaders" in the Pentagon to be even
>more stupid than I already thought they were.  I was wrong.
>
>http://cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_159222541.html

But why is this *stupid*? It's tacky and careless of consequences,
but it doesn't seem to me absurd. The following sort of objection
seems to me a mixture of irrelevant pleading in the face of surmised
bigotry, and argument-missing:

<"Throughout history we have had so many brave men and women who are
gay and lesbian serving the military with distinction," said Geoff
Kors of Equality California. "So, it's just offensive that they think
by turning people gay that the other military would be incapable of
doing their job. >

That is NOT what the alleged project was said to be targeted at. As
the story notes: `As part of a military effort to develop non-lethal
weapons, the proposal suggested, "One distasteful but completely
non-lethal example would be strong aphrodisiacs, especially if the
chemical also caused homosexual behavior." ' Clearly the idea is that
certain parts of the brain can be wildly superstimulated, leading to
hyperarousal of sexual urges and behavior. This is very far from
self-evidently untrue. Under such an attack, with few women present
(the assumption is a heavily male enemy force), would endogenous and
social proclivities get redirected to available members of one's own
sex? It happens in jail and other situations of confinement...
classically, aboard naval vessels at sea for many months.

<And its absurd because there's so much medical data that shows that
sexual orientation is immutable and cannot be changed." >

Pure ideology and self-evident claptrap when put in such
unconditional terms. The cbs.5 writer can't know very many honest
people. Granted, this sort of statement bears a closer relation to
the truth than hysterical bullshit about homosexuals infiltrating
schools and "turning" sexually indeterminate youths toward their evil
ways. But it is just silly to put this up as proof that the research
was doomed in advance "by immutable nature".

Just my 2cents.

Damien Broderick