[ExI] Thermal expansion - Ball and ring experiment

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jun 13 02:22:43 UTC 2007

At 11:23 AM 6/13/2007 +0930, you wrote:
>Yep, that's my contention also. My problem is, how to prove this to
>someone who doesn't believe me, short of actually doing the
>experiment?
>
>Emlyn
>
>On 13/06/07, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > The gap gets larger.  Imagine the arc piece that is missing from
> the ring to
> > form a C.  That piece of nothing expands the same way the piece
> of something
> > would have expanded were it present.  So the gap gets larger as the C is
> > heated.

Draw three concentric circles, with radii headed N, S, E and W. The
outer annulus is what happens when you heat the inner annulus (well,
near enough). Chop out a quadrant. The outer removed segment is
larger than the adjacent inner deleted segment. If a gay bomb is
dropped during the experiment, each annulus will expand even further.