[ExI] Thermal expansion - Ball and ring experiment

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 13 02:30:39 UTC 2007

> Yep, that's my contention also. My problem is, how to prove this to
> someone who doesn't believe me, short of actually doing the
> experiment?
>
> Emlyn

Because of my outbox stalled for a day and a half, all my posts in that
interval went out just half an hour ago, putting me over the voluntary 5
posts a day limit, but I will answer this one if you indulge me.

The intuitive proof would come from the intermediate value theorem.  For a
thought experiment, let's imagine a ring that is heated to temperature T
expands 1 percent from its ambient temperature size.  The inside of the hot
ring has a diameter about 1% larger, ja?

Imagine the ring with a thin cut.  The cut can be thought of as a gap with
zero length, or a C with zero gap.  As the ring is heated to T, the gap is
still zero.

Now imagine the ring cut in half.  The gap increases 1 percent when heated
to T.  If the gap is pi radians, the gap increases 1%.  If zero pi, then 0%.
I would argue that if the gap is half pi, then the size of the gap increases
about half a percent.  A tenth pi, then about a tenth of a percent.

The actual function probably isn't linear, but close enough to illustrate
that the gap grows as heat expands the C.

spike