[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 22:52:30 UTC 2007

Eugen Leitl wrote:

> "I do, I do. Even if such a thing was possible,
you'd
> artificially
> cripple a being, making it unable to reach its full
> potential.
> I'm a religious fundamentalist that way."

But in a sense, aren't all beings in this Universe
"artificially" crippled, in a way? Even a
Universe-Brain will probably hit its limits (but
perhaps not). If I decide to have a child, and I treat
him/her very well, should I still feel guilty about
creating him/her because he/she was unnecessarily
crippled by biological limitations? Some people today
are very happy and content with life, even though they
have the same biological limitations or "crippling".
And, couldn't a Friendly AI still reach its full
potential without destroying humanity? I would like to
reach my full potential too, but my conception of
"potential" doesn't include killing my neighbor and
taking his stuff. If a Friendly AI can still have a
Really^99999999999... good life, but still not be the
*only* mind in the Universe, do you believe that that
is moral grounds for never creating the Friendly AI at
all? - because it will be slightly limited? By the
way, I am sincere with these questions, I'm not just
trying to rile you up. [Or have I just misunderstood
you on this topic?]

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Herrlich

http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n07/doencas/disease_i.htm