[ExI] Next moment, everything around you will probably change

TheMan mabranu at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 00:54:14 UTC 2007

I've thought more about personhood continuity and come
to some other baffling conclusions.

If you make an exact copy P2 of a person P1, and kills
P1 at the same time, the person P1 will continue
his/her life as P2, right?

And P2 doesn't have to be exactly like P1, right?
Because even within our lives today, we change from
moment to moment. So as long as the difference between
P1 and P2 is not bigger than the biggest occurring
difference between two moments after each other in any
person's life today (i.e. the biggest such difference
that still doesn't break that person's personhood
continuity), P1 will still go on living as P2 after
P1:s death, right?

But then, obviously, there are differences that are
too big. If P2 rather than resembling P1 resembles
P1:s mother-in-law, and no other copy is made of P1
anywhere when P1 is killed, P1 will just cease to have
any experiences - until a sufficiently similar copy of
P1 is made in the future.

Now suppose P2 is a little different from P1, but
still so similar that it allows for personhood
continuity of P1 when P1 is killed. Suppose a more
perfect copy of P1, let's call him P3, is created at
the same time as P2 is created and P1 killed. Then, I
suppose, P1, when killed, will go on living as P3, and
not as P2. Is that correct?

But what if P1 isn't killed at the time P2 and P3 are
created, but instead goes through an experience that,
from one moment M1 to the next moment M2, changes him
quite a bit (but not so much that it could normally
break a person's personhood continuity). Suppose the
difference between [P1 at M1] and [P1 at M2] is a
little bit bigger than the difference between [P1 at
M1] and [P3 at M2].

Will in that case P1 (the one that is P1 at M1)
continue his personhood as P3 in M2, instead of going
on being P1 in M2?

He cannot do both. You can only have one personhood at
any given moment. I suppose P1 (the one who is P1 at
M1) may find himself being P3 in M2, just as well as
he may go on being P1 in M2 (but that he can only do
either).

If so, that would mean that you would stand in a room
and if a perfect copy of you would be created in
another room, you could just as well find yourself
suddenly living in that other room as that copy, as
you could go on living in the first room. Is that
correct?

Suppose it is. Then consider this. The fact that the
universe is infinite must mean that in any given
moment, there must be an infinite number of human
beings that are exactly like you.

But most of these exact copies of you probably don't
live in the same kind of environment that you live in.
That would be extremely inlikely, wouldn't it? It
probably looks very different on their planets, in
most cases.

So how come you are not, at almost all of your moments
today, being thrown around from environment to
environment, from planet to planet, from galaxy to
galaxy? The personhood continuity of you sitting in
the same chair, in the same room, on the same planet,
for several moments in a row, must be an extremely
small fraction of the number of personhood
continuities of exact copies of you that exist in
universe, right? An overwhelming majority of these
personhood continuities shouldn't have any
environmental continuity at all from moment to moment.
So how come you have such great environmental
continuity from moment to moment?

Is the answer that an infinite number of persons still
must have that kind of life, and that one of those
persons may as well be you?

In that case, it still doesn't mean that it is
rational to assume that we will continue having the
same environment in the next moment, and the next,
etc. It still doesn't justify the belief that we will
still live on the same planet tomorrow. Just because
we have had an incredibly unchanging environment so
far, doesn't mean that we will in the coming moments.
The normal thing should be to be through around from
place to place in universe at every new moment,
shouln't it?

So, most likely, at every new moment from the very
next moment and on, our environments should be
constantly and completely changing.

Or do I make a logical mistake somewhere?