[ExI] POST MORTAL chugging on

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Jun 15 16:49:58 UTC 2007

At 12:43 PM 6/15/2007 +0200, Eugen wrote:

> > At 07:49 PM 6/14/2007 -0700, Chris Hibbert wrote:
> >
> > >As to the story, I'm enjoying it.  The one complaint I have is the
> > >schizophrenia.  Multiple personalities seems like a cheap trick for an
> > >author to pull.

>To nitpick, schizophrenia is not
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder

Indeed. Our character has a form of DID; he isn't schizophrenic. His
dissociative identities have been manipulated by drugs and
conditioning in the interests of power--precisely the sort of
downside of knowledge and technology that frightens many people about
science. What makes our story different from most Crichtonesque
thrillers is that we suggest solutions will come from increasing
knowledge rather than stifling it. But we also acknowledge the
dangers, which are clearly enormous.

Damien Broderick