[ExI] Unfriendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Thomas thomas at thomasoliver.net
Sat Jun 16 09:13:33 UTC 2007

> Having values and the achievement of those values not being
> automatic leads to natural morality.  Such natural morality would
> arise even in total isolation.   So the question remains as to why
> the AI would have a strong preference for our continuance.
>
> - samantha

Building mutual appreciation among humans has been spotty, but making
friends with SAI seems clearly prudent and might bring this ethic
into proper focus.  Who dominates may not seem so relevant to beings
who lack our brain stems.  The nearly universal ethic of treating the
other guy like you'd prefer if you were in her shoes might get us off
to a good start.  Perhaps, if early AI were programmed to treat us
that way, we could finally learn that ethic species-wide --
especially if they were programmed for human child rearing.  That
strikes me as highly likely.  -- Thomas