[ExI] any exact copy of you is you + universe is infinite = you are guaranteed immortality

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 15:34:26 UTC 2007

On 16/06/07, John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:

If you are talking about Many Worlds then there is a much simpler way to win
> the lottery, just make a machine that will pull the trigger on a 44 Magnum
> aimed at your head the instant it receives information that you have not
> won; subjectively you will find that the trigger is never pulled and you
> always win the lottery. I think the Many Worlds interpretation of Quantum
> Mechanics could very well be correct, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

There's an easier, if less immediately lucrative, way to win at gambling if
the MWI is correct. You decide on a quick and certain means of suicide, such
as a cyanide pill that you can keep in your mouth and bite on if you should
so decide. You then place your bet on your game of choice and think the
following thought as sincerely as you possibly can: "if I lose, I will kill
myself". Most probably, if you lose you'll chicken out and not kill
yourself, but there has to be at least a slightly greater chance that you
will kill yourself if you lose than if you win. Therefore, after many bets
you will more likely find yourself alive in a universe where you have come
out ahead. The crazier and more impulsive you are and the closer your game
of choice is to being perfectly fair, the better this will work.

--
Stathis Papaioannou