[ExI] Unfrendly AI is a mistaken idea.

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 06:22:04 UTC 2007

On 17/06/07, Anna Taylor <femmechakra at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> --- Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >We'll survive to the extent that that motivating
> >part of us that drives the AI's survives. Very
> >quickly, it will probably become evident that merging
> >with the AI will give the human an edge. There will
> >be a period where some humans want to live out their
> >lives in the old way and they will probably be
> >allowed to do so and protected, especially since
> >they will not constitute much of a threat, but
> >eventually their numbers will dwindle.
>
> I have to agree.  I look at it from the point of view
> that Science and Technology are always led by people
> that believe in future possibilities yet history takes
> time to move forward and those "old" ways will need
> time to adjust to the future possibilities.  Much like
> the Amish, they still exist today.
> I do wonder, will technology evolve so quickly that
> the gap between the "old" ways and the future, become
> too wide?

The most frightening thing for some people contemplating a technological
future is that they will somehow be forced to become cyborgs or whatever
lies in store. It is of course very important that no-one be forced to do
anything they don't want to do. Interestingly, aside from some small
communities such as the Amish, the differences between adoption rates of new
technology have almost always been to do with differences in access, not a
conscious decision to remain old-fashioned. There won't be coercion, but
there will be seduction.

--
Stathis Papaioannou