[ExI] Fear of Death

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Wed Jun 20 16:48:34 UTC 2007

On 6/20/07, A B <austriaaugust at yahoo.com> wrote:

> In a somewhat unrelated post, Lee wrote:
>
> ..."I have very good reasons
> for supposing that I fear death less than most people,
> and a *lot* less than do many other cryonicists."...
>
> I'm not trying to flame you Lee, I just thought that
> this would be a good topic to jump-off from.

I wanted to let Lee's statement lie.  But since you've brought it up,
consider its evasiveness.

I told Lee I suspected his motivation was not so much to understand
personal identity, but to comfort his fear of death.  He evaded the
point of the question, which was his motivation, and pretended as if
the point was his fear of death, which  of course is already
ameliorated by his theory of multiple copies of himself and his
cryonics policy.

Fear death or not; that wasn't the point.

- Jef