[ExI] RIP Singularitarianism

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 23:04:48 UTC 2007

On 6/20/07, Thomas <thomas at thomasoliver.net> wrote:

> We err to take fear-speak too seriously.  Fear merchants have abounded by
> virtue of the hypnotic effect of their scary headlines.  They sucked space,
> but if you could tolerate them, and not succumb to suggestibility, you could
> avoid getting sucked down.  Trying to suppress negative memes seemed to
> strengthen them.  There remains plenty of hard evidence that love resolves
> fear.  That corny old philosophy has never failed.  If you can't do that
> then love yourself for not tolerating singularitarianism.

Maybe you're right. What was the line from the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the
Galaxy, "...loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it"? I'll go for the
middle option :)

By the way, what work do you do?

I'm a programmer, working on data processing stuff at the moment, have ideas
regarding smart CAD and reusable procedural knowledge that I intend to have
a go at implementing if and when I get a clear run at it.