[ExI] Next moment, everything around you will probably change

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Thu Jun 21 06:36:46 UTC 2007

Anna writes

> --- Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:
> > What about at t = 0.0001 seconds?  What difference
> > could one ten-thousandth of a second make?  (Please
> > try to interpret this question charitably, as though I
> > were not attempting to make a straw man of your
> > position and as though I were not attempting to
> > ridicule your position.  I mean the question
> > quite sincerely.)
>
> Quite sincerely, what happens globally every 0.0001
> second?  From a Universal front, what happens every
> 0.0001's of a second?  What is happening with Lee at
> this actual 0.0001 second?

Subjectively speaking, that's of course too small a time for anything
to happen. On the objective level, however, millions and millions
of neurons can begin firing, or (others) end up dumping chemicals
across a synaptic cleft to another neuron.

> Am I understanding properly? What represents a moment?

Here is the context of the discussion I was having with Jef.  He had
written

> > > Lee, I've said many times that your similarity view works just
> > > fine as a practical matter of everyday life (and it even works
> > > for your duplication thought-experiments at t = 0.)

And so since he had said that similarity works as a criterion for
personal identity (or something like that) for duplicates at t=0 (where
that is to be understood as the instant at which a duplicate is spawned),
then I was asking him, in effect, why similarity would not be a good
criterion for t = 0.0001 second. In other words, one extremely good
argument that a person and his duplicate are the same person is that
they are so similar, because no significant change can happen that
could turn someone into a different person in so short a time (under
ordinary circumstances).

Lee