[ExI] RIP Singularitarianism

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 11:51:08 UTC 2007

On 6/21/07, Benjamin Goertzel <ben at goertzel.org> wrote:

> Russell, I'm not sure what problem you have with our work?

None! I probably shouldn't have used wording that suggests Novamente falls
into the same category as e.g. SIAI; as I understand it - and you've
confirmed just now - most of your time is spent on actually designing and
implementing useful software.

What did get you mentioned in my post was the recollection that you
eventually got sucked into the "a computer is going to conquer the world"
meme to the extent of citing it as a reason for declining to open source
Novamente - correct me if I'm wrong, or if you've changed your mind on this
one.

(Note that I am not criticizing your decision to refrain from releasing your
code as open source - there are certainly good commercial reasons for such a
decision - only that stated rationale for it.)