[ExI] Fear of Death

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Thu Jun 21 18:02:34 UTC 2007

> Jef writes things like

> > Fear death or not; that wasn't the point.
>
> Well pray tell, then, what exactly was the point?  (Maybe it's in your
> next email I see coming up, in "Next moment....".

The point that elicited your evasive reply was, as I stated earlier,
not your fear of death but your apparent reluctance to consider
seriously expanded concepts of personal identity that might deny you
previous sources of comfort against the fear of death.

Rather than respond to the assertion, you denied the consequent.

Kinda like the following:

Mary:  "Mike, it seems as if carrying that handgun helps you
compensate for feeling somewhat impotent in a dangerous world."

Mike: "No way!", fondling the long, hard barrel of his gun, "On the
contrary, I feel more powerful than almost anyone else I know."

- Jef