[ExI] Next moment, everything around you will probably change

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 19:36:59 UTC 2007

On 6/22/07, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:

> So where in this thread do you think such was ever asserted or
> implied?  Saying that categories have no ontological status in no way
> implies validity of categorical relativism.  And on this list I would
> be among the least suspected of promoting such a view, given how much
> I go on about the importance of the process of increasing awareness
> leading to an increasingly coherent model of perceived reality.

I didn't say you promoted any such view. Jef, I have been criticized far
more often for being too blunt about speaking my mind than the reverse; if I
meant to criticize you for holding a particular view, I would do it directly
rather than by allegory of a third party. The reason I wrote that post was
because "man anticipates continued life as a sunflower" looked like a pure
straw man, until I realized it wasn't: there are people who do commit that
fallacy, and not just inmates of lunatic asylums either; so I demonstrated
this by citing it coming from a highly respected author.