[ExI] Favorite ~H+ Movies

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 03:26:47 UTC 2007

On 6/22/07, A B <austriaaugust at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Boy, things have been tense around here lately. We
> should be entitled to a little fun once in a while,
> right?

Right ^.^

I thought it would be fun to make a list of our
> favorite semi-transhumanist movies. This written
> medium can sometimes be somewhat dry, and difficult to
> express and share positive emotions with each other.
> It may sound cheesy, but perhaps by sharing our
> favorite movies, we could more easily recognize some
> of the more fundamental feelings and aspirations
> between us.

Good idea! Let's see, what counts as "semi-transhumanist"? For the sake of
argument I'll take it as portraying in a positive light a) reaching up to
life rather than sinking down to death, and b) the role of science and
rationality in general in that process.

So for movies:

Independence Day

Hmm, short list! (Not saying there aren't other possible candidates, but
that's the only one that comes to mind. Most of the other great movies I can
think of have technology as just a neutral background, and some - well, now
I almost wish The Terminator wasn't one of the greatest.) I'm going to take
the liberty of including anime series also:

Blue Seed
Bubblegum Crisis 2040
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Slayers