[ExI] Happy Solstice!

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 23 17:52:45 UTC 2007

Cool Lee!  Since you take into account the latitude and longitude, your next
digit of precision on your yardstick experiment comes from taking into
account the analemma.  This website gives a reasonable explanation:

http://www.analemma.com/Pages/framesPage.html

The analemma is the result of the fact that the earth isn't in a circular
orbit around the sun, but rather an ellipse.  This time of year when we are
at the aphelion, or farthest point from the sun, the apparent traverse of
the sun across the ecliptic is slightly less than than the usual ~ degree
per day.  Mid winter it will traverse slightly more than the average.

By happy coincidence, the aphelion and perihelion almost correspond with the
soltices.

I am setting up an experiment to mark the pavement on my back patio
corresponding to the shadow of the peak of the house at exactly noon.  Of
course most days at noon I would not be home, so it will take years to get
most of the calendar days marked.  When I do, I will have a figure 8 shaped
calendar back there.  Isaac will love it.  Is this cool or what?