[ExI] camp statements

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Jun 24 02:16:50 UTC 2007

At 06:57 PM 6/23/2007 -0600, Brent wrote:

>I've added two of my current favorite movies, including some crude
>starts to some camp statements.  I hope that if anyone agrees, they
>will join our camp, moving it up the list, and help out a bit to
>improve the camp statements.

You might want to reconsider that term, or risk having people snigger at you.

wikipedia:

Camp is an aesthetic in which something has appeal because of its bad
taste or ironic value.

A part of the anti-academic defense of popular culture in the
sixties, camp came to popularity in the eighties with the widespread
adoption of Postmodern views on art and culture.

"Camp" is derived from the French slang term se camper, which means
"to pose in an exaggerated fashion." The OED gives 1909 as the first
citation of "camp" in print, with the sense of "ostentatious,
exaggerated, affected, theatrical; effeminate or homosexual;
pertaining to or characteristic of homosexuals. So as n., 'camp'
behaviour, mannerisms, etc. (see quot. 1909); a man exhibiting such
behaviour." According to the OED, this sense of the word is
"etymologically obscure."

According to writer and queer theorist Samuel R. Delany, the term "a
camp" originally developed from the practice of female impersonators
and other prostitutes following military encampments to service the
soldiers. Later, it evolved into a more general description of the
aesthetic choices and behavior of working class gay men. Finally, it
was brought into mainstream use (and transformed into an adjective)
by Susan Sontag in her landmark essay (see below). [etc etc]