[ExI] Next moment, everything around you will probably change

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 24 18:44:25 UTC 2007

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 13:56:51 -0400, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:

> A problem I see is that your will may change from hour to hour
> (possibly depending on mood, or even caffeine and so forth),
> as I go into more below.

I don't see that as a problem. As I wrote to Stathis in another message, I
view continuity of self as no more than a convenient fiction,
philosophically speaking.

I'm quite certain I'm not the same person I seemed to be at age five and
in my view it follows logically that neither am I the same person I seemed
to be five minutes ago. The dissimilarities are not readily apparent to my
senses but that fact does not excuse me from the rational obligation of
deducing their existence.

>> In fact they never were the same person; it simply took a while
>> for their wills to diverge sufficiently to make the truth apparent.
>
> You're right in that my duplicate and I might muse on how odd it
> was. We would no doubt attribute it to a most interesting divergence
> of our internal workings.

Odd is an understatement. :)

If that other man were **really** you then he would have your unique will,
which includes your unique will to eat cornflakes for breakfast instead of
wheaties. Furthermore he would be choosing to eat the cornflakes from your
bowl while sitting in your chair and wearing your shoes. :)

> memories

I think the focus on memories has been bad for this identity debate over
all these years... it's no wonder there is still no resolution...

-gts