[ExI] Next moment, everything around you will probably change

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 09:44:37 UTC 2007

> > If I can overcome my fear of anticipating no successor experiences
> > then I should (logically, I would argue) overcome my fear of death.
>
> So just how upset, under midazolam, would you be?  Alas,
> it's not something that one would get "used to"!   For the
> very interesting reason that one would not recall the previous
> instances of so being under the influence.

I think you would get used to it, because you would remember agreeing
to have the dose and then finding yourself somewhere else a while
later (usually waking up, at the doses that cause complete amnesia)
with no recollection of the intervening period. You could go through
this many times, and in fact some patients do, and stop worrying about
it. This means that you can arrive at a state of mind whereby you can
accept that you-thinking-this can anticipate no future experiences.
Now, given that you have arrived at such a position, why is it more
"logical" to procede to the conclusion that this is OK as long as some
near-copy (which you-thinking-this will never directly know) has
future experiences, rather than the conclusion that death does not
matter at all, or doesn't matter as long as someone else will be
around to complete your projects?

--
Stathis Papaioannou