[ExI] What surveillance solution is best - Orwellian, David Brin's, or ...?

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Wed Jun 27 18:43:25 UTC 2007

> Yeah. As a first step, do not yield your biometrics to any entity,
> commercial or government. Switch off your mobile phone most of the
> time (remove the batteries if you really want to make sure).
> Do not let any online entity (Google, ahem) gather information about you.

Eugen, are you suggesting that this is a transition strategy until
there are better solutions, or possibly until the Singularity and all
bets are off anyway?  How do you account for the relatively higher
quality information you inadvertently provide by the gaps?

Since I don't at this time bet on a Singularity solving any of my
problems, and I think the issue of transparency versus privacy is
going to continue tipping toward transparency, I think the "solution"
to people having information about you is to intentionally publish as
much public information about yourself as practical.  The risk is not
too much information, but of asymmetric exploitation of information.

- Jef

- Jef