[ExI] agency-based personal identity

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 20:30:25 UTC 2007

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 15:59:24 -0400, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net>
wrote:

> On 6/27/07, Thomas <thomas at thomasoliver.net> wrote:
>
>> I think of will as agency.
>
> Consider a newborn infant.  It functions on its own behalf, at least
> enough to find and suck on a nipple, but it yet lacks a model of
> itself as a self.
>
> Is there agency?

We don't know if it lacks a model of itself as self. But even assuming it
does not, there is both will and agency.

The newborn wills to suck a nipple, and does so, acting as the agent of
its own will.

Is it developed enough to be conscious of itself and its actions in an
abstract way? Does it think, "Here I go again, sucking on a nipple
according to my will, just like I did yesterday"? Probably not, but that
is beside the point.

-gts