[ExI] Is this really the case?

Anna Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Thu Jun 28 03:17:35 UTC 2007

Eliezer posted a video on Overcoming Bias regarding
"Are Your Enemies Innately Evil?".  (I'm sorry, I'm
sure how to post a link:)

Is this really what it's like in the United States
regarding religion?  I am rather curious as I read a
lot but I haven't had much opportunity to travel.  I
understand the Extropy List consists of many Atheists
and wonder if this would be a reason why many of you
have such a distaste for religion? If so, then my
apology.

Where I grew up religion was not the least bit like
this. When I watched that video it made my skin crawl
and my blood boil.  I remember thinking "that's not
religion, that's boot camp for a Christian army".
And what is this?  "There is only two kind of people
in the world, people that love Jesus and people that
don't"? That's not teaching children morals and values
that's teaching children how anybody that's not like
me is bad/evil or wrong. As it's a clip, I'm not sure
what direction it's heading in but one thing is sure,
if this is clip represents the truth of the mentality
of the religious in the United States, I wouldn't give
it any awards.

I feel rather naive that I took so much time defending
religion unaware that this type of evangelism was so
widespread within the United States.

If anybody has a moment and watches the clip, I would
love some of your insight, offlist if preferable.

Thanks
Anna

      Make free worldwide PC-to-PC calls. Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger with Voice at http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/