[ExI] Is this really the case?

Joseph Bloch joseph at josephbloch.com
Fri Jun 29 02:03:19 UTC 2007

I actually had the opportunity to watch the entire documentary, twice. It is
indeed indicative of the practices of a segment of the religious community
in the United States. It is, of course, an extreme example, but not one that
is completely outside the mainstream. There is a significant segment of the
Pentecostal/Evangelical Christian movement that sees nothing wrong
whatsoever in ensuring that their children believe precisely what they
believe, by any means necessary. Google the term "Dominionism" and you will
learn much.

And, in fact, there are those who compound that belief with the idea that
they should have as many children as possible, in order to produce as many
kids for Christ as possible:

http://www.quiverfull.com

They also feel no qualms about directly manipulating the levers of power
within the United States to subtly (or, perhaps, not-so-subtly) bring their
own unique vision of American life to dominance within the culture. One
well-documented effort is the one to install their sympathizers into the
United States Air Force Academy, and thereby use all manner of coercion to
bring the Air Force Cadets around to their way of thinking:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/articles/06/04/08_airforce.html

And also the terrific and terrifying (especially to a USAF veteran such as
myself) book:

http://www.amazon.com/God-Our-Side-Evangelical-Americas/dp/0312361432/

This is not to say that the Dominionists and their ilk are representative of
a majority of the religious practitioners in the United States. They are,
however, very well organized, highly motivated, and enjoy a level of
influence which is disproportionate to their numbers.

This is, of course, something that should be alarming to Transhumanists and
Extropians on several different levels. Not only do such people, as a rule,
actively oppose many biotechnological advances that we would endorse as part
of our goal of overcoming human limitations through technology, but the
entire idea of the type of ideological indoctrination, the hostility to free
inquiry, that so alarmed you in that clip is and should be anathema to us.

Bottom line; it is indeed the case that some American religious folks are
like this, but they are only a minority. A vocal, influential minority bent
on gaining more influence, but a minority nonetheless.

One that we should be aware of as a potential threat to our own objectives.

Joseph
http://www.josephbloch.com