[extropy-chat] something rather than nothing

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Mar 2 08:10:04 UTC 2007

At 10:38 AM 2/28/2007 -0500, someone wrote:

>The question remains in our universe of thoughts, why is there
>something rather than nothing?

Good dog in heat, I get so tired of this fake question. What makes
anyone suppose that "nothing" is the default physical or metaphysical
condition, or even an intelligible construct? Nobody has ever seen
"nothing", just the displacement of one something from here to there
or even out of sight, leaving behind another something. Get over it.
If the question is "why are there gradients rather than universal
smoothness?" there are answers available.

Damien Broderick