[extropy-chat] Just curious, cryonicist living life in reverse

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 15:20:07 UTC 2007

On 3/2/07, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Suppose there are two programs: program A is my life on 1st March 2007 and
> program B is my life on 2nd March 2007. Granted, the programmer needs to
> know all sorts of details about my past life before he can write the
> programs, and in particular he has to know what is going into program A
> before he can write program B, but we assume that he has done his job
> properly. Now here I am, and it's the 2nd of March by my calendar, so it
> must be program B that is running. I certainly remember yesterday as being
> the 1st of March, but does this give me any information at all as to whether
> program A was run yesterday, has not yet been run, is being run
> simultaneously on a separate machine or process, or any details at all about
> its implementation?

Suppose your life/program is represented as a high dimension manifold,
then it would be possible to compute a given moment by selecting a
point this object's the surface.  The memory/state information would
be relative to that point, but not necessarily require iterative
calculation.

I've thought about this using the frames of a film - each 1/24 of a
second contains stateful information about it's placement in the
sequence.  For a movie you know well enough, you could probably
resequence a random pile of film clips from these clues (within some
threshold of accuracy: 1/24 of a second doesn't allow a great deal of
variation from frame to frame)