[extropy-chat] Boks On-line, was Re: Drexler laying down a hand...

Jay Dugger jay.dugger at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 20:16:39 UTC 2007

14:09 Saturday, 3 March 2007

J.A.:

On 3/3/07, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:
[snip]

> I find electronic versions of books to be far preferable to paper
> copies, and I routinely cut and scan any paper books I acquire.  So

(Hear hear! scanning takes a lot of work, though. I do this myself,
and I've worn out three scanners.  My employer has a very nice
high-speed scanner, but I can only use it for business purposes.)

> much easier to search, annotate and archive, and so much easier to
> read in bed or when on the go.  I'm in the process of moving my

Ha! try traveling three days out of four.  That broke me, cured me
rather, of my love for hard copy. The advantage of always carrying a
book with me came as a nice side benefit of lighter luggage.

> collection of several hundred books from my personal network storage
> onto Amazon S3 this weekend for greater accessibility and backup
> reliability.
>
> Speaking of S3, I am extremely happy with Amazon's S3 and EC2 as
> enabling technologies for scalable small businesses.

I find this project of yours extremely interesting. (I consider doing
the same thing.) Have you written a blog post of any sort on this
project, or otherwise documented it online?

--
Jay Dugger
http://jaydugger.suprglu.com