[extropy-chat] Boks On-line, was Re: Drexler laying down a hand...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Mar 3 21:11:06 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 02:53:38PM -0600, Jay Dugger wrote:

> Buy a used laptop for $300. Install the Linux distribution de jour for
> (hours taken*($/hour)). I consider WiFi optional; YMMV.

Hello? I have an iBook. It's not good enough. I need a ruggedized A4 tablet
with a display roughly like Sony VAIO (yes, the LED-backlit one, except
A4, not postage stamp sized).

> I have a brand new Plustek Optic Book 3600 on my right.  Boing boing
> pretty well describes it, but they omit any mention of its remarkably
> ugly scanner interface. The word "eyesore" fails to capture its awful
> hideousness.  It looks as if the UI designer might have been a
> kindergartner on LSD, and the approval committee their indulgent,
> half-blind grandparents.

That sounds reasonably damning, but does this work at all? You're supposed
to use an OCR engine anyway, so whatever they ship the thing with will
be just about quality of the drivers. It's not a cheap scanner, as such
things go, so I really wonder whether it's worth it.

> ASCII?

I understand some still have this touching belief that .pdf password
protection actually works.