[extropy-chat] Psychological stress and Suffering

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 4 10:13:27 UTC 2007

--- Robert Bradbury <robert.bradbury at gmail.com> wrote:

> So let us perhaps separate the concepts.  There is
> no question in an
> extropians mind (at least generally speaking) that
> robust nanotechnology can
> completely eliminate "human suffering").

Lets say this is so. All material needs are completely
satisfied by nanotechnology. Then there would still be
the suffering from interpersonal relationships,
competition, and failure. Post humans might still
suffer from unrequited love and losing at chess for
example.

> So from an
> extropian philosophical
> perspective there is "no human suffering" other than
> that which is
> self-inflicted.

Interesting. That is also true in Buddhism only for a
different reason also related to choice. The Buddhists
believe that suffering is self-inflicted because the
self chooses to desire things it cannot have and
become attached to things it cannot keep.

In the extropian framework, suffering is
self-inflicted because the self chooses out of
unreasoning fear to not develop the technology to give
it the things it desires and to keep the things that
it has.

> Would you hazard a guess at to how Buddihst
> philopsopy may evolve if "human
> suffering" is no longer of concern.

So long as we compete for anything including one
another's attentions or affections, there will still
be suffering. The zen-mind will still be useful for
the both the competition and dealing with the outcome
of such competition whether it be a spat with the
spouse or interstellar war. And who knows what
conflicts post-humans might engage in or why?

Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"Now what I contend is that my body is my own, at least I have always so regarded it. If I do harm through my experimenting with it, it is I who suffers, not the state." -Mark Twain