[extropy-chat] Psychological stress/Suffering

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Sun Mar 4 01:55:47 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: citta437 at aol.com
To: extropy-chat at lists.exptropy.org
Sent: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 7:49 PM
Subject: Psychological stress/Suffering

 Hi, thanks for welcoming me to the list.

  Jef wrote: "I would like to ask your opinion on the issue of universal
suffering
 with regard to extropic thinking:

 In my opinion, the Buddhist concept of the universal suffering of all
 sentient entities is useful, but it is a concept framed within a
 traditional paradigm of scarcity, and as such it is seen to offer
 escape from an unpleasant state of being."

  My comment: The emphasis of seeing reality as it really is without
judgemental attitude of a self is not an escape but a challenge to open
one's mind to the real cause of suffering which is desire arising from
thoughts of self as independent from the forces of nature.

  Jef: "However, upon gaining an aware acceptance of self as/within
nature,
 one finds that there is no objective suffering, nor is there any
 objective self who can suffer. From this perspective of aware
 acceptance, one can choose most freely."

  My comment: There is a saying in Zen that "to study the mind{self }is
to forget the self and to forget the self is to be enlightened by a
thousand things in dharma including the reality of suffering which can
be overcomed with no attachment to thoughts/desires/beliefs. The
historical Buddha emphasized critical thinking in line with the
teaching of impermanence, suffering and no self.

   Jef: "I am aware of course of the Zen Buddhist warrior, at peace
within his
 fighting art, but I don't see this as an exception. Again the
 implicit aim is one of harmonious flow, rather than intentional
 striving."

  Awareness as a practice of meditation comes naturally as thoughts are
released without strain or strife. It comes and goes as the movement of
the mind is a form of kinetic energy. There is no permanent self
abiding inside the brain but an imprint of memory and language.

  Jef: " II would suggest that this traditional Buddhist conception is
framed
 within a world-view that did not include today's knowledge of adaptive
 dynamical systems nor the dynamics of co-evolutionary ecologies."

  In the contrary, the practice of Zen is a dynamic process aligned with
today's psychological therapeutic system of treating delusions and
illusions of reality.

  Jef: "In contrast, extropian thinking recognizes that striving for
ongoing
 growth is essential and intrinsic to survival of any entity in the
 bigger picture."

  To me extropian thinking is a natural outgrowth of an evolving and
developing brain. A well developed brain needs a healthy lifestyle and
a healthy nurturing environment which is essential for growth.

  Jef: "Now one could easily respond that striving for growth may
certainly be
 conducted with a zen-mind, and I would agree, but would refer back to
 my point that this would be commonly seen as an exception rather than
 a preferred new "standard" among most Buddhists. "

   I don't know what you mean by "new standard" among most Buddhists.
Perhaps this book "Thoughts Without a Thinker" by Mark Epstein, a
practicing Buddhist and psychiatrist would help. Below is an excerpt or
an overview:

  "Epstein explains the unique psychological contributions of the
teachings of Buddhism, describes the path of meditation in contemporary
psychological language, and lays the groundwork for a
meditation-inspired psychotherapy. Part I of the book is an orientation
to the Buddhist perspective. Dispelling misconceptions common even
among those already practicing meditative techniques, this section
presents the Buddha's psychological teachings in the language of
Western psychodynamics. Part II explains the meditative practices of
bare attention, concentration, mindfulness, and analytic inquiry, and
shows how they speak to issues at the forefront of psychological
concern."

 Terry

from AOL at AOL.com.