[extropy-chat] something rather than nothing

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sun Mar 4 17:39:40 UTC 2007

"Damien Broderick" <thespike at satx.rr.com>

> What makes  anyone suppose that "nothing" is the default physical
> or metaphysical > condition, or even an intelligible construct?

Usually one should choose the simple scenario over the complex, provided it
is free of contradictions. Nothing is simpler than something, and it is
paradox free as there is not anything to contradict it. It would be logical
to conclude that there is nothing, and yet we would be wrong.

> Nobody has ever seen  "nothing"

 Yes, and therein lies  the mystery

> I get so tired of this fake question.

I disagree, I think it's a perfectly legitimate question. However if you
mean the question will never be answered so there no point in spending much
time with it then I agree. No point except perhaps in the pleasure
contemplating the mysterious can give us.

  John K Clark